Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Nail of the Day: Claire's Candy Shop


Today's nail of the day is Candy Shop from Claire's Cosmetics.

2-3 Coats, Natural Light

To be honest, I haven't shopped at Claire's for years, and it certainly isn't a place I would think of when looking to buy a new nail polish. But as soon as I heard that Claire's came out with a dupe of Deborah Lippmann's Candy Shop, I had to run out and get it. I find it amusing that Claire's not only designed a polish to copy Deborah Lippmann, but even used the same name too. But I am not complaining – at $5, the Claire's version is just over ¼ of the price of Deborah Lippmann's original (which retails for $18). Looking at swatches, the coloring of the two is exactly the same. The only difference is that the large glitter in the Claire's polish seems to be a little bit more dense. But unless you are closely looking at them side-by-side, you probably wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

Candy Shop has a dusty medium pink jelly base that is filled with small and large multi-colored hexagonal glitter. The glitter is teal, green, yellow, orange, silver, pink, and lilac. The camera tends to focus on the individual pieces of glitter, so the second picture (which is slightly out of focus) gives a better idea of the overall appearance of the polish. It is definitely not a subtle polish, but I think it is fun to wear from time to time. And it tends to receive a lot of compliments!

2-3 Coats, Natural Light

For a glitter polish, Candy Shop has a great formula. The glitter is so densely packed that only 2 coats are necessary, for the most part. I just added a thin 3rd coat on a couple of nails that didn't have as much glitter as the rest after 2. You do also have to work with the glitter a little bit to get it distributed evenly on the nails, because it tends to pool in the center. However, as far as chunky glitter polishes go, this is one of the best formulas I have encountered. Just keep in mind that it is incredibly difficult to remove. It isn't necessarily harder than any other glitter polish, but the glitter is so dense that there is just a lot of glitter to get rid of. The good news is that it really stays put on the nails, so you can at least get several days of wear out of it before facing the long task of removal.

Overall, I think Candy Shop is a really fun nail polish that looks like a party on the nails. The formula is fantastic, which actually surprised me since I have never heard anything about other polishes from Claire's. I probably would not have spent the money to buy Deborah Lippmann's version, but I was happy to spend $5 on this dupe!

What do you guys think: would you wear this polish?

No comments:

Post a Comment