Monday, June 11, 2012

Review & Swatches: Revlon Just Bitten Balm Stain in Rendezvous


When I saw Revlon's new Just Bitten Balm Stains in the drugstore, I immediately bought one to test it out. I was very intrigued by the combination of a stain and a balm, since traditional lip stains are much to drying for my already dry lips. This new product also excited my greatly because they seem very similar to the Tarte LipSurgence Natural Lip Stains. I have never gotten around to trying the Tarte product since it is quite pricey at $24. Now I am happy that I didn't spend that much money, since Revlon's version retails for only $8!

Revlon Just Bitten Balm Stain in Rendezvous

The packaging of the Balm Stains is nice and convenient. I think it provides the best of both worlds between a lip pencil and a lipstick. The product is thinner than a traditional lipstick, which allows for a more precise application. But it also eliminates the hassle of sharpening a pencil. The product simply twists up and down like a normal lipstick.

Revlon Just Bitten Balm Stain in Rendezvous

The color I chose is 040 Rendezvous. It is a red-orange, that leans more orange in the packaging, but more red once applied. There are currently 9 other colors in the range. The pigmentation is quite nice. It is clearly not the most opaque lip product in the world, but I have never seen another lip stain that is either. As you can see in the swatch below, it has a glossy finish. It also has a minty scent, which reminds me a lot of mint-flavored floss. I think minty products are refreshing on the lips, but if you don't like the smell of mint floss, you probably will not like the scent of these either. I do not find this product to be exceptionally moisturizing, but it doesn't dry out my lips at all so I am happy with that result. 
 
Revlon Just Bitten Balm Stain in Rendezvous

I think the best part about this product is its wonderful lasting power. The glossy sheen disappears within 2 or 3 hours, but a wash of color remains on my lips for nearly 8 hours. Even after eating a meal, the stain was left intact.

I thought it would be fun to compare the balm stain to one of Revlon's most talked about products in the last year: the lip butters.

Revlon Just Bitten Balm Stain in Rendezvous, Revlon Lip Butter in Tutti Frutti
Rendezvous, Tutti Frutti
Rendezvous, Tutti Frutti

In terms of color, Rendezvous has more red undertones, while Tutti Frutti is a true orange. The lip butters have a better color selection overall, as there are 20 shades in that range. The lip butters are slightly more pigmented, and are also a little bit more moisturizing on the lips. They both have the same glossy finish when applied. The major difference between them is the staying power. The balm stains leave a wash of color on my lips nearly all day, but I can't get the lip butters to last for more than 3 or 4 hours. It really is a personal preference as to which one is better, depending on what you look for in a lip product. Personally, I love both of them for different reasons.

If you are looking for a lip product that will provide color on your lips all day without drying them out, I think there is a good chance that you will love Revlon's new Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stains. But if you are looking for super opaque pigmentation, this is not the product for you. I like having a variety of different types of lip products in my collection, and I definitely want to try out more of these balm stains.

What is the most important thing that you look for in a lip product?

No comments:

Post a Comment